Thursday 3 November 2016

Goodbye To The Han Siblings: Why I Changed My Name


As I'm sure many of you have noticed by now, my channel name is no longer going by 'The Han Siblings', but rather 'The Han Aesthetic' and I will now be referring to myself as Han instead of Harmony or Hanzel. This post is just going to be a brief explanation of why I made this change and how this will affect my channel and content. 

I think the first thing I should start of by saying is, Hanzel and Harmony were both nicknames that I earned from two separate groups of friends - neither is my real name. Harmony was a nickname that started from my music days in middle school, and slowly morphed into something that everyone in school called me. Hanzel on the other hand, was the alias I used as part of my cross-dressing group. The idea to combine the two into 'The Han Siblings' came from me wanting to cover both sides of my style when I made my channel - the thing is, back then my style was more black and white, I was either dressing very masculine or very femininely. 

Which brings me to my reasons for wanting to change: 


1. My Style Has Evolved

Nowadays, and even way back when I first got into fashion, I've always thought androgyny was the highest form of beauty; it's always been what I found most aesthetically pleasing. However it's only recently that I realised I didn't have to just admire that beauty, I could morph myself to fit into the aesthetic that I so loved. Yes, there are many days when I do dress /very/ girly or manly, but actually I prefer that blurred grey area in the middle, which brings me to my next point: 

2. It Was Limiting My Content

Every video had to be delivered by either Harmony or Hanzel, which inherently meant, I had to decide if I wanted to tailor my video to come across more masculine or more feminine. I've wanted to do an androgynous makeup tutorial for the longest time, but if I presented it as Hanzel, there's the statement of makeup being 'girly', but if I presented it as Harmony, it just became 'another makeup tutorial' - reasons like this stopped me making a lot of the videos I wanted to. 


3. I Want To Change The Style of My Channel

Fashion and presentation aside for the moment, another reason why I thought now would be a good time to change things was because I wanted to change the kind of channel I run too. I love fashion and makeup, and that will never change, but there's so much more to me that I'd like to share with you too. I want to talk about life, about art and music, about food and definitely about cultures - I want my channel to be more of a lifestyle channel than a style channel, and I want style to just be one part of the bigger picture, so why not now? 


---

Okay, so now you kinda understand why I'm changing my name, the new question is probably "Why 'aesthetic' and why 'Han'?" 

Well, to most people, when you say the word 'aesthetic' they only think of the visual side of things, but for me personally, an aesthetic may be a set of beliefs or values that determine many areas of someone's life, like what they like and dislike, how they treat others, what they wear, etc. Essentially I see it as almost meaning the same as 'ideal', and since my channel was now going to be centered around my ideals about what life is and how it should be lived, I guess 'aesthetic' just sounded more poetic? 

As for the name 'Han'? Well, besides it being the common surname for all my many aliases, I think I decided to go with this because its completely neutral. It's no a girls name, it's not a boys name, it could be Asian, European or even African. It has no pre-attached stigmas or interpretations, and in all honesty, even I don't remember why I originally picked this as a last name. It's a completely blank slate and it's mine to paint however I like, so it's only definition is 'me'. Therefore 'The Han Aesthetic' really just means I'm showing you who I am. 


---

Okay, last but not least, I thought I'd just wrap things up by explaining exactly what is going to happen to my YouTube channel from now on. In short: nothing I've been doing is going to change. I'm still going to be doing makeup tutorials, I'm still going to be talking about fashion, and I'm still going to be throwing a bunch of cultural stuff in your face. I'm just going to be doing some other stuff too! 

As I said, I want this to be a more rounded lifestyle channel, so I am going to add some personal development, DMCs, food, travel, and all that sort of good stuff in at some point too, but the content you already know and love isn't going to change. I'm going to try not to bombard you all with a bunch of new stuff all at once, but little by little I'm going to start sprinkling things in. I also have some series that I've revamped or hope to start on my channel too, so definitely look out for those. 


--

All in all, I hope you guys now understand a bit more about why I've made the decision to change my channel name and alias. If you're not comfortable with it or you don't like it, well, that's a shame, but it is what it is. You're welcome to leave but I really do hope you stick around, we're all going to get closer, and hopefully through watching me be 100% completely raw and unfiltered, you'll feel inspired to do the same and live true to yourself. I look forward to what the future brings, and I hope you'll all come along on this journey with me <3 


- H A N -

TL;DR : Due to my evolution as a person, my style change and my will to add new content to my channel, I feel like the name 'The Han Siblings' is too restricting. The Han Aesthetic is going to be more focused around lifestyle as a whole instead of just style, and I will now be using the more neutral alias of Han across all of my content. There's going to be a lot of gradual changes, but the content you know and love won't be changing, so stick around and enjoy the ride. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...